RE: air pump

To: Peter Ryner <pryner@verizon.net>,
Subject: RE: air pump
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:49:55 -0800 (PST)
--- Peter Ryner <pryner@verizon.net> wrote:
> Interesting perspective, but runs contrary to what
> many television shows are showing on Saturday AM.

Well, I guess it's possible.  For example, if you
tested a stock Honda Civic, maybe there might be a few
BHP here and there.  The exhaust is probably built
with price competitiveness and extreme sound
supression as prime factors.  And the chip may be
programmed to be safe on very low-grade fuel.  So
although Honda KNOWS how to make that extra power, I
guess it's possible that they don't, for whatever
cost-based reason.  The same might be true of other
down-market cars, like the Chevy Cavalier or
something.

Although to be honest, I'm skeptical even of that.  I
sat there and watched our engineers run the dyno all
day, every day, and I saw the results.  BMW 325i,
330i, 540i, Porsche 968, Boxster, Toyota Supra,
Mercedes-Benz SL500, Honda Prelude, Toyota Celica,
Mazda Miata...

No power.  None of 'em.  Maybe one or two bhp here and
there, but that's within the error of the dyno itself.
 You can run the same car twice in a row, with no
changes, and see a variation of 2 or 3 BHP.

And on a serious performance car, like the new M3 that
I mentioned in my original post, it's just not
credible.  Have you ever seen the rear muffler on a
new M3?  It's a freaking work of art!  It looks like
sewer pipe made out of stainless.  It's just the most
gorgeous thing I've ever seen.  There's no expense
spared on the construction, that's for sure.

All segments of the automotive market are competitive.
 Believe me, if Porsche or BMW or Mercedes-Benz could
make six or seven extra horsepower with a different
rear muffler, you can bet your breakfast they would.
Even Honda and Toyota and Mazda and Mitsubishi would
do it on their higher-end cars.  I talked to the
engineering guys from BMW one time about aftermarket
rear mufflers and they were laughing their heads off.

Those teams of factory engineers, with the resources
of an entire manufacturer at their disposal, know a
heck of a lot more about making exhaust systems for
their cars than some guys working out of a garage in
an industrial park somewhere.

Or at least, that's been my personal experience.

Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005
A vintage driving event in the spirit
of the Mille Miglia, Rallye des Alpes,