Re: air pump

To: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: air pump
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:25:05 -0800 (PST)
--- Simon Matthews wrote:
> Would not it be better to time the engine such that
> light knock/pinking/pinging is heard occasionally?
> This will produce more power, with little chance
> of engine damage

I was always under the impression that pinging was
pre-ignition, and that pre-ignition causes small
spikes of intense pressure in the combustion chamber.
Those spikes of pressure are damaging to the pistons,
and can eventually burn or break them.

When I worked at AutoThority and we were tuning
high-performance engine managment software
("performance chips") for Porsches and BMWs, the
engineers were very careful to avoid any kind of
knocking or pinging, even at light load, part-throttle
because of the damage it caused.  They used very
expensive and sensitive add-on knock-sensors to make
sure the engine wasn't detonating under any conditions.

Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005
A vintage driving event in the spirit
of the Mille Miglia, Rallye des Alpes,