Re: Roadside Emergency Parts/Tool Kit

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roadside Emergency Parts/Tool Kit
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:39:56 -0800
Right. Since the MG hasn't left me stranded since about, oh, 1990, when the
driveshaft fell out (my fault -- I used the wrong bolts), and that was
within 1/2 mile of my house (I walked home and procured the proper size), I
don't see the need for spending $30/mo. on a cell phone. A slim metal case
(formerly belonging to a cheap 1/2" socket set) holds screwdrivers, pliers,
a 3/8" socket set, a selection of wrenches, and a few odds and ends, takes
up zero floor space in the trunk (it is bungie'ed to the bulkhead), and has
sufficed to deal with issues such as replacing a carb needle valve (had
unscrewed itself). I also use the unoccupied battery box to carry a can of
nuts and bolts, short lengths of wire, odd bits of hose, spare distributor
cap and rotor, duct tape, etc.

But the best emergency tool kit is Preventive Maintenance and Frequent
Inspection (he says, who hasn't even checked the oil since January -- do as
I say, not as I do. In my defense, I probably have only rung up a few
hundred miles in that time span).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149