59 MGA Carbs High Revs When I let Off The Gas Pedal

To: "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 59 MGA Carbs High Revs When I let Off The Gas Pedal
From: "Mike Razor" <mrazor@mis.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 19:16:02 -0400
Ok let me see if I can describe this:  When I push on the gas pedal a cable
pulls up on the connecting rod or throttle spindle on the carbs.  Where the
cable is connected to the rod is on the rear carb and has a return spring
that is suppose to snap it back down when I let off the gas pedal.  It is
bolted to the rod or spindle with what looks like a collar with a bolt that
runs through it.  When I push on the gas pedal (pull on the throttle cable)
this collar comes up a great deal before the front part of the rods/spindle
on the front carb.  This bolt is a bear to get to, as evidenced by the large
burn mark left from the manifold on the back of my knuckles.  I tried to
tighten it but was concerned that I might turn to hard.  Plus, it is almost
impossible to get a straight angle on it.

Should the back carb come up before the front one or should the whole
assembly come up as one unit?  And why is it not just snapping back into
place.  I am thinking that at the very least the spring is weak and perhaps
the bolt/collar have worked loose.  Of course with my luck it is always
something that starts out "remove engine and open wallet" :-)

Thanks!

Mike R