Re: 59 MGA Carbs High Revs When I let Off The Gas Pedal

To: "Mike Razor" <mrazor@mis.net>, "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 59 MGA Carbs High Revs When I let Off The Gas Pedal
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:53:54 +0100
No specific knowledge of MGAs but on the MGB the carbs should definitely
start to open at the same instant for correct balance and I see no reason
why the MGA should be different.  If the collar is *turning* before the
shaft starts to turn then it seems like it is loose and needs tightening.
If it is moving *vertically* (in line with the pull from the cable) before
it starts to turn then it sounds like the throttle spindle and bushes are
very badly worn.  Likewise if the spring is returning the collar but not the
throttle spindle.  But for that to be happening I'd be looking for a stiff
throttle spindle rather than a sloppy one.  If the spring isn't returning
the collar either then either a weak spring as you say or stiffness further
back towards the pedal.

PaulH.