X-member mounting pads

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: X-member mounting pads
From: Marc Siegel <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:13:56 -0400
I'm getting ready to renew all the bushings on my '80 B. The crossmember
mounting pads need to be replaced also. Having R&R'ed a crossmember on
my other B, I don't want to do this again & I sure don't want to screw
around with the steering rack!

Aligning the steering rack was the single hardest job I've ever done on
the car!

I'm wondering about the possibility of maybe doing one side at a time,
maybe removing the crossmember bolt on one side to gain enough clearance
to slide the new pad in place? Then repeat on the other side? Or
possibly not removing the crossmember bolt entirely, but slitting the
pad on one side to allow it to slip over the stud?

Is this workable, or a really bad idea? Or will I still need to realign
the rack after that?

--
Marc