Ugh!

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ugh!
From: eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:55:34 +0930
So I decide that, with our competition season starting in three weeks, I
need to take the 'B on a bit of a shakedown run.

I am Steward at a "1/4 mile sprint" (essentially as it sounds, a drag
strip run) and "motorkhana" at the Mitsubishi Proving Grounds 75 miles
out of town.  Out through the hills and surrounds of Adelaide, freeway
all the way and a good 150 mile round trip to shake out the cobwebs.

Three miles up the road (and early, 6am start) and all I can smell is fuel.

Pull over and pop the bonnet - and fuel is pouring out from under the
float-bowl of the front carby.  At first I thought she was overflowing
and not running out of the overflow pipe, but nope, it is flowing from
under the float bowl.  Running down the heatshield and dripping onto the
hot extractors.

Got her home and pulled out the Rover for the trip.  DARN!

When I get home I check out what I can (it is getting late) and feel for
something come loose but nope, nothing.  Do I assume something has
split?  I guess I gotta get the carby off to really check this out.

Oh yeah, next day I jump in the Rover to head to work and smell... you
guessed it... FUEL (I actually thought it was psychological because it
couldn't happen twice over two days in two different cars). Pull over
and pop the bonnet, leaving the engine running again and... fuel is
pouring out of a pipe that runs under the plenum.  And it is gushing out
under pressure.

A hose has all but come off this pipe so I manage to push it back on and
get under way again (stinking of fuel).

What are the chances of this, eh?

Eric
'68 MGB MkII