Overdrive transmission oil

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Overdrive transmission oil
From: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:05:08 -0600 (MDT)
About a week ago people wanted to discuss the issues with my overdrive.
At the time, I needed the car for my daily driver, and didn't have time to
diagnose/correct the half working overdrive situation.  Well, my other
daily driver is now back on the road, and I can work on the overdrive.
One of the topics that came up was the oil - so here's what I've
heard/done, and where I have questions -

When I converted the car to overdrive, I used 20W50, and that was the
recommended oil from the mechanic that initially installed this for me.  I
did a lot of reading, and quickly determined that I was not supposed to
use a detergent oil.  I couldn't find any non-detergent 20W50, so I
converted to the heaviest (non-gear oil) non-detergent oil I could find,
which was straight 30 weight.  I understand the overdrive system and how
it engages pretty well, and it makes sense to me that 30 weight is not
heavy enough to keep the overdrive engaged well - especially if there are
any iffy o-rings.

So, should I put in detergent oil (like 20W50), or what is the
recommendation there??

Phil Bates