Re: Still battling clutch

To: "Mike Duvall" <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Still battling clutch
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:03:02 +0100
If you are getting 1/2" travel of the slave piston you can forget the
hydraulics, 1/2" to 5/8" is correct as far as I know.  IMHO 3/8" isn't
enough, but even with that you should be getting some disengagement albeit
with grinding when selecting reverse and a very low biting point.  If fluid
were leaking past the piston seal and affecting travel, then you wouldn't be
getting enough travel, which you are, so it isn't that!  If the piston is
going back in as well as out then the mechanical linkage to the diaphragm
springs must be complete, and compressing the spring, as the diaphragm
springs are the only thing that pushes the slave piston back into its
cylinder and the hydraulic fluid back up to the master and gives the clutch
its self-adjusting properties.  That just leaves some problem with the
assembly of the clutch, so that when the diaphragm springs in the cover
plate move the required amount there still isn't enough reduction in
pressure on the friction plate to disconnect the drive.  How far did you
mechanically have to move the lever that sticks out of the bell-housing,
from its normal resting place when used hydraulically, before the clutch
*did* disengage?  If that is more than your 1/2" then the problem is still
inside the bell-housing and not with the hydraulics.  You haven't got a
pull-off spring down at the clutch end, have you?  If so that will be
pushing the slave piston all the way into the cylinder, so that the normal
1/2" of travel from the pedal *won't* be enough to disengage the clutch.
When operated and released by a pedal a few times, you should be able to
push on the end of the release lever and move the piston further back into
the cylinder until it hits the bottom.  Be aware that in a normal system
topped up to the correct level this could cause the fluid to overflow from
the master.

PaulH.