Re: Penetrating oil

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Penetrating oil
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 09:19:04 -0700
Folks,

I bought some cheap stuff from Car Quest and its formulation is probably
the same as Waxoyl (not Dinol/Dinitrol as they do not seem to use
wax???).  I poured it into my sills with great difficulty even after
standing it in a hot bath!   So I tried a bit mixed with thinners (mineral
spirits),  It got runny and so I tested on a piece of metal.  There seems
to be no difference between the thinned and non-thinned.  The stuff just
sits there, does not dry, and ignores water.  It forms a sort of soft
greasy film.  However, it quickly dissolves in soap.  So I am going to mix
a batch and pour into my sills.  Incidentally,  I put in one US gallon and
only got 1/2 gallon out though the drain hole !!!!

Regards
Barrie

Barrie Robinson
(705) 721-9060