Re: coil replacement wiring

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: coil replacement wiring
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:43:26 +0100
Ideally you would fit a 6v coil and keep the coil ballast as it aids
starting and has no down-side.  But if you want to use your 12v coil you
have to make some changes.  The simplest change is to connect a white
(assuming it carries 12v when the ignition is on) to the coil +ve which is
where the white/light-greens are now.  You can leave these on, or remove
them but in this case you must insulate them and tape them back out of harms
way.  The externally mounted ballast resistor you can see with the white and
white/blue wires is the special one for the 45DE4 distributor, which is no
longer required for a points distributor.  As I say you can use the white
feeding this for the coil, the blue may go to an unused connector for the
old distributor, or may have been chopped off where it exits the loom.  Same
for an extension of the white that originally went into the distributor
electronics.  The blue cylinder is a noise suppressor and can be removed or
refitted to the coil +ve as you see fit.

PaulH.