RE: Exhaust Gasket

To: <timfboston@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Exhaust Gasket
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 21:05:39 -0600
Another popular list question. And this answer, which I saved because I ask
myself this question everytime I change them, comes from a list email a few
years ago and gives credit to John Twist:

"The good gaskets are supplied with the silver,
metal side and an asbestos side.  The SILVER
side is fitted DOWN so that the more flexible
ASBESTOS is fitted UP against the manifold. I
usually coat the metal band of the gasket, as
well as the corresponding section of the exhaust
pipe with nickle anti-seize so that it is easily
removed next time..."

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B