Re: L(arge)BCs and security

To: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>,
Subject: Re: L(arge)BCs and security
From: Hans Duinhoven <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 08:05:50 +0200
As another European guy:
This has more to do with the waste of energy and by this creating too much
pollution compared with more commonly used type of cars according to this
lobby.
It is not only Land Rovers overhere, which are getting bad names, but
typical fashion cars like these like Range Rover, Toyota Land Cruiser,
Hummer, Nissan Patrol, big pickup trucks etc.
These cars are too big, consume unneeded amounts of fuel for transporting
(often) one person and are experienced as an obstacle in the small town
center streets overhere.
Most of these are 4x4, but never driven offroad.

In the Netherlands we currently have another negative lobby recently
started: cruisade against diesel cars. Our country appears one of Europe's
most polluted areas. "Fine dust" which derives from the smog out of the
diesel car's exhaust are contributing a lot to this.
I must admit when I kick the accelerator a bit to quickly, my Audi A6 diesel
generates a big smoke from the exhaust. Even when the automatic gear changes
to a lower gear when overtaking creates this as well - I cannot avoid this
always.

For this issue the usage of LPG maybe the solution. I have seen several MG's
which have been converted to this fuel running without a problem.
Bio-diesel is another option.
Modern diesel cars can be converted to drive in this environmental friendly
fuel.
Stupid thing is, that this stuff is almost not available overhere. (oil
company lobby?)
Smells a bit like the oil used for frying snacks......

Cheers,

Hans

'71 BGT
Audi A6 Avant 1.9 TDI