Re: Filling Gearbox

To: "Randy Widman" <riwidman@buckeye-express.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Filling Gearbox
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:45:35 +0100
A 79 should have the side filler/level hole accessed from under the car, it
changed about the time the bumpers changed from chrome to rubber.  FWIW I
find checking my CB easier with its built-in dipstick and filling it with a
short length of clear hose pipe with a funnel in the top, then checking the
level with a mirror and a torch/flashlight on my RB and using a bendy
squeezy bottle from underneath to top up.  But then I've heard of someone
using a long length of clear hose down through the engine compartment and
into the filler hole on those.

Whatever grade of oil is suitable for the engine depending on your local
climatic conditions is correct for the gearbox, and 10W/40, 10W/50 and
20W/50 are all indicated as suitable for temperate zones in the Workshop
Manual.  15W/50 and 15W/40 are 'modern' grades and as they fit within the
indicated range should also be suitable.

PaulH.