Re: Western Africa (Non-LBC)

To: TR6UO@aol.com, Mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Western Africa (Non-LBC)
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 10:33:30 -0700 (PDT)
--- TR6UO@aol.com wrote:

> I would like to tap into the collective knowledge and experience of the
>
> list(s) for car-related information on a territory in Western Africa on
> the
> Atlantic Coast.
>
> My sister is in the Foreign Service and has been assigned to the US
> Embassy
> in Benin, Africa. She will be required to buy a car for personal
> transportation,  as no public facilities exist. My question relates to
> how different or
> similar  the cars available there are to our own in the US. This will
> determine
> whether  she buys something new to eventually bring with her to her next
>
> assignment (or  home) or something older to leave behind.
>
> For example, I would guess they are LH drive, have no catalytic
> converters
> or emissions systems, flashers, seatbelts, etc. Does anyone have any
> related
> knowledge or an idea where I can find it?

Based on the following, I would get something rugged - a Landcruiser,
maybe!

TRANSPORT
Airports one international airport and six smaller, domestic airports;
total passengers carried 46,000 (2001 est) Railways total length 578
km/359 mi; total passenger journeys 700,000 (1998) Roads total road
network 6,787 km/4,217 mi, of which 20 paved (1999 est); passenger cars
2.3 per 1,000 people (1998)

Dan
The Garden State
'76 MGB Tourer - Driver - It's getting better all the time....
'65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, still is....
'04 Audi A4 1.8T q MT-6 - quattro, baby!
NAMGBR #5-2328