Re: Anyone else had an MGB heater valve clogged with crud?

To: John Hunt <johnhunt@cse.ogi.edu>
Subject: Re: Anyone else had an MGB heater valve clogged with crud?
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:42:32 -0500
   It has happened to me on a non-running '70 B that I bought.  Part of
it is mineral deposits from the water you mixed with the antifreeze.
The stuff deposits there because it's a dead end flow-wise.  The way to
avoid it is to use distilled water.  Or, if you have a water softener,
use water from inside the house.  Another thing you can do is turn the
heater on now and then.  And flush and replace the AF annually.

   Cheers,

    CR

John Hunt wrote:
> When the mornings got cool last fall I turned the heater control on my '68
> MGB but I only got cold air from the heater.
SNIP

> When I removed the heater valve it was abundantly clear why I got no heat.
> The throat of the valve was absolutely packed with pasty white, gray and
> yellow-green crud.

SNIP

> Has anyone seen this sort of crud develop?  I am using normal Valvolene
> coolant at 50% concentration.  I store the car from November-April and use
> the heater only in the spring and fall.

SNIP