report - RB MGB drifts right on braking

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: report - RB MGB drifts right on braking
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:04:20 -0400
I finally traced down and repaired a nagging issue on our 1978 MGB.

It would drift right on braking. I had rebuilt the entire brake system when
I put it back on the road a couple of years ago (rebuilt/replaced: MC,
calipers, brake cylinders, all flex hoses). I replaced the A-arm's rubber
bushes. I tightened all suspension bolts front & rear. I rotated tires. I
had the front end (toe) aligned. Still drifted right on braking. It wasn't
really a pull on braking but it still didn't seem right. I re-bled the front
brakes and even measured that the volume of brake fluid pumped out from each
side was equal with each pedal stroke. I had the rotors turned and replaced
the pads. No change.

One day I pushed the MG back into the garage after we replaced the starter
on my son's pick-up. As the MG bumped up against a 4x6 block of wood I had
placed on the floor I heard & felt a 'clunk'. Something I probably wouldn't
have heard if I had driven the MG into the garage.

Turns out the rubber pads between the cross member and 'frame rails' were
shot. Although I had tightened the attachment bolts, I was only tightening
them against the stepped portion of the bolts - and not actually tightening
the cross member. I replaced the deteriorated rubber pads with urethane
pads. (the right side was essentially gone, there were remnants on the left
side)

Now she tracks and stops straight and true.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell