Re: "Now The Wraps Are Off New MGs, Too! | Car News | Auto

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: "Now The Wraps Are Off New MGs, Too! | Car News | Auto
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:33:41 -0700 (PDT)
--- Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Sadly I can only see them shrinking to nothing, without a saviour with
> very
> deep pockets, and even the big boys are finding life difficult.  Each
> re-incarnation sees them getting into an ever smaller niche.  The
> products
> have been tainted by association for years, and the last collapse and
> buy-out will have done nothing for their street cred.
>
> PaulH.

I have to agree. I could see some chance if they ever went to a TVR-type
operation, along with the commensurate scale, expectations and mind-set,
but I think people are still very focused on MG being a mass-producer, in
order to try and save as many jobs as possible at Longbridge. It's still
too political for anyone to realisticly assess how MG should continue - if
it even should.

I see a lot of parallels between MG/Rover's situation and General Motors -
the difference being that GM is so much larger and had a large cash cow in
SUV and truck sales over the last 10 years. Unfortunately, their car
products mostly are crappy and they have to resort to huge discounts to
sell cars. The 'Employee Discount for Everyone' program got them a sales
increase of 40% for June and a huge 2Q loss.

Dan
The Garden State
'76 MGB Tourer - Driver - It's getting better all the time....
'65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, still is....
'04 Audi A4 1.8T q MT-6 - quattro, baby!
NAMGBR #5-2328