MGA windshield wipers

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA windshield wipers
From: "dannyvarnado" <dannyvarnado@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:30:12 -0700
When my friends at work are concerned about me getting wet on my way home in
my MGA, I always tell them that "I laugh in the face of rain Ha Ha Ha".  I've
gotten caught a few times and made it home with only a wet head.  Yesterday
mother nature got even!  While on the only stretch of two lane highway with no
shoulder and no place to pull off, I got caught in a torrential down pour,
what we call a "Louisiana toad strangler".  When I turned on my trusty wipers
(for the 1st time in a heavy rain) I was quiet alarmed to learn that the
blades had little or no blade to glass pressure and did nothing to wipe the
water off the glass.  Fortunately I was barely able to see the tail lights on
the car in front of me.  I'm sure glad he didn't run off the road because I
would have been right behind him.  Anyway, some how I made it to a gas station
canopy and was able to wait the storm out. For those of you who were patient
enough to read this story, I now have a question.  Does anyone know of a brand
of wiper arms / blades that will work on an MGA?  After my adventure, I
inspected the ones on the car (new ones from Moss) and found them to look
good, but to be very flimsy and totally inadequate for wiping water.  I tried
to bend the arms hopping that would apply more pressure. Didn't work.
Rain X might have helped if I had re-applied some after the last washing.
Thanks,
Danny V.
'58 MGA (daily driver)
'76 MGB (project)