Re: Disty Issue

To: <MGMagnette@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Disty Issue
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:29:23 +0100
Yes.  If it doesn't spark when you touch and remove the wire to its contact
on the distributor, but it does when you touch it to the distributor body,
then the circuit inside the distributor is open-circuit (it would spark on
both but not when the distributor were turning if it were short-circuit).
You should also get a lot of sparking at the connection itself when touching
and removing the wire, which can be a more reliable indication, as under
those circumstances the condenser it out of circuit and you will get weak
sparking, possibly not enough to jump a plug gap.

Causes can be conductor broken inside the insulation between the spade
connector on the outside of the distributor - this is continually flexing as
vacuum changes.  Bad points and/or too much gap.  And as said before the
points plate ground wire could be broken.  This is a special braided
'tinsel' wire designed to be very flexible, unlike the points wire, although
both experience the same flexing.

PaulH.