Re: exhaust manifold + emissions compliance

To: lister@bonackers.com
Subject: Re: exhaust manifold + emissions compliance
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:02:09 -0400
  I confirm what Mike wrote about his car passing in CT w twin HS4s.   A
neighbor's 1980 passes emissions with a Weber installed and headers, but
he has been visually checked for catylist.   His cat is a short unit he
picked up at the dump that is clamped into place under driver's seat for
inspection purposes.  It's not the OEM unit used by MG, but the
inspectors don't seem to know that 1) it's not OEM and 2) that it's a
hollow unit.
   It is his understanding that today's formulation burns cleaner than
the 1980s fuel, hence a working cat is no longer needed to pass
emmissions.
   Last time around for my '72 it passed, w/o the air pump and other
equipment.  Now it is past the age for testing.  I have saved all the
emissions gear, though, in case the rules change at some time.
Bob