Re: exhaust manifold + emissions compliance

To: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Subject: Re: exhaust manifold + emissions compliance
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:50:43 -0500
   The Prius is rated by the EPA as a PZEV/ULEV.  If you aren't up on
the standards, PZEV is a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle; that's because
it's running as an electric some of the time, with the engine off.  ULEV
is a Ultra Low Emissions vehicle; that's when the engine is driving the
car.    No car on the road today has a lower emissions output and it has
nothing to do with fuel consumption.  To better inform yourself go to:
<http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/>.

  My point was that even the best gas-burning low emissions vehicle
needs a catalytic converter to get it done.  Modern gas formulations
help but they don't cut it on their own as your friend avers.

   Cheers,

    CR

Gosling, Richard B wrote:
> "... Tell your friend that the below simply isn't true.  For example, the
> Toyota Prius hybrids are the lowest-emission cars around and they have cats.
>
>    Cheers,
>
>     CR

SNIP