RE: Overdrive Woes

To: "Mark Herrick" <mgbgt@herricknet.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Overdrive Woes
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:35:46 -0600
Well I had what sounds like the same problem with my 72B. I also removed
all power to no avail. The problem only got worse in the following three
to four weeks. A couple of times after a drive I had no reverse gear,
usually around the same time as the overdrive engaging problem. At
first, the overdrive engaging/disengaging only happened deaccelerating
downhill (one steep hill in particular) but eventually started happening
in any gear during any deacceleration. Fortunately, that started
happening in mid-fall (last year)  so I garaged the car and pulled out
the tranny during the winter. I tried to get a temporary 4-speed
transmission this spring but ended up borrowing my son's since his B is
completely disassembled. My OD transmission is still in the garage
awaiting repair. But for the cost, I am hoping I can just take it to
University Motors next February and fix it myself in one of their
classes.

I'm still not sure what the problem is but the Bentley manual indicates
a broken circlip or worn od clutch linings, something internal anyway.
The bad thing is I had the tranny overhauled two years earlier, when it
was being used for my 71BGT, and it had maybe two or three thousand
miles on it when this problem occurred.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B