Re: WWA

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: WWA
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:17:28 -0700
"...wasn't engineered for it" is a pretty vague reason... I mean, most MGs
weren't engineered for radial tires, either, but that doesn't stop folks
from fitting them, and for good reasons.

That said, I don't think there's a whole lot of benefit in the conversion
for street driving, since it's not like you can buy tube shocks "customized"
to this non-standard application -- you wind up using shocks designed for
some other vehicle. If you really understood the parameters, I imagine you
could come up with a superior solution to the stock levers, just like you
could come up with a superior solution to the stock tube shocks on your Golf
or your Saab. But how superior? and would it be worth the effort/$$$?

I can say this, having done the tube shock conversion when the total cost of
the front and rear kits was less than the cost of two replacement lever
shocks. It worked, but it's hard to say whether it was an improvement -- I
could only compare to 4 leaky, worn-out lever shocks.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149