Wire wheel question

To: mg listserve <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wire wheel question
From: Matt Trebelhorn <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:37:44 -0400
I have 4 good, new chrome wire wheels, on new hubs.

I don't have a good spare, but I have two old wheels which have
between them enough decent parts to make a good wheel.  Like I said,
this will be a spare -- used minimally, if at all.

These two old wheels are, of course, rusty; one has a broken spoke,
one has a hub that's in bad shape.  I want to unlace them, clean them
up, and put together one good wheel.

My initial question: would it be a reasonable first step, as far as
loosening the rusted spokes and nipples, to have a radiator (or
similar) shop soak them in their cleaning tank for a day or two?

I assume I ought to use a proper spoke wrench -- is the version sold
by the usual suspects the way to go?

Any other tips or notes on disassembling/reassembling old wire
wheels?  FWIW, these are both painted, not chrome.

Thanks to all,
Matt