RE: Rear Axle asymmetry (MGB)

To: "William Mills" <bmills46@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Rear Axle asymmetry (MGB)
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:45:09 -0700
Bill:

Been there, done that.  Wished to the Gods that I had not!

Rolling the fender lip will not give you a lot and it is tricky to do
without damaging the fender.  If any damage does happen to the fender
the lines of the car are ruined.  In the right light the ripples above
the rear wheel well will look horrible.

Take a look at the back side of the wheel.  You may find that there is
extra meat on the center creating the additional offset.  Way back when,
I took a set of similar wheels down to a machine shop and for the price
of a case of beer they stuck the wheels on a lathe and took off some of
the extra thickness.  That solved the problem.

It may take a bit more looking, but wheels with the correct offset are
around.

Kelvin Dodd

Behalf
> Of William Mills
> Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 5:23 PM
> To: Andrew B. Lundgren; Matt Trebelhorn
> Cc: mg listserve
> Subject: Re: Rear Axle asymmetry (MGB)
>
> I've got a '74 BGT with the same issue.  I'm trying to put some
> aftermarket
> wheels (Western Wheel) on it, these look like the old Z car wheels and
> cannot get them inside the rear fender even though the tires are
Dunlop