Re: Totally confused

To: Mike Torrusio <miket@maine.rr.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Totally confused
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 07:28:04 -0700 (PDT)
--- Mike Torrusio <miket@maine.rr.com> wrote:

> When this conversation first started it seemed clear - there were
> companies that insured our "type" of auto and did it for less money.
> Then it got a little muddy when Hagerty told me the insurance only
> covered you IF you drove under 2,500 miles a year.
> It got confusing when some chimed in with assurances that there was no
> mileage limitations, while others believed that as long as some form of
> "fair and reasonable" mileage (taking the age and "classification" of
> the car into consideration) was adhered to, mileage would not be a
> problem.
> This led to further talk about various companies and classifications
> and definitions of how many miles constitutes mileage.
> Others joined in with policies from additional companies and now......
> I'm wondering what my name is!
>
> So, to get it straight.  Does anyone believe that their company will
> insure my 71 MGB for less money than my current company (USAA)  fully
> understanding that the Mig is my only car (okay, I have a Volvo for
> when the snow, as is often does here in Maine, reaches 6+ inches) and
> understanding that I drive about 15 to 25 THOUSAND miles a year?
>
> If so, let me know.  The more money I save the more I can put into the
> sailboat called '71 MGB.

Well, Mike, put this way it's relatively simple. You're not a good
candidate for classic car insurance.

Regardless of mileage limitations or not, most, if not all,  classic car
insurance is for some sort of occasional use, not daily drivers. My
Hagerty policy definitely has no mileage limitations - I actually read the
policy, and they have never asked for odometer readings. However, it was
made clear to me when I signed up that I needed to have another car that
was my daily driver, along with a locked garage for the B. That was
basically it (other than sending them 2 pictures).

Hope this clears things up.

Dan D
The Garden State
'76 MGB Tourer - Driver - "On the Road Again....!"
'65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, still is....
'04 Audi A4 1.8T q MT-6 - quattro, baby!
NAMGBR #5-2328