Re: Fuel Pump Problem

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Problem
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:21:23 +0930
On 03/10/2005, at 4:40 AM, Rocky Frisco wrote:

> Most electric fuel pumps will also restart if you switch the
> ignition off and on again a few times. Easier than crawling under
> the car in the wet. They normally stick because the coil moves the
> point, but it doesn't make good contact. Switching the ignition off
> and on moves the point, often enough to make contact again.

I thought that was why they mounted the fuel pump as easily
accessible from outside the car (I have bashed a few back into life,
myself, before taking the hint and replacing them) - rather than like
the Rover SD1 where it is neatly hidden almost in the middle of the
underside of the car behind a protective shield - which took a
pounding once or twice :-)

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia