Re: ^%$&*()!!! Rubber Parts!!!

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ^%$&*()!!! Rubber Parts!!!
From: "Bob Donahue" <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 22:30:41 -0500
I see I'm not the only one who has had bad luck with rubber parts: hoses,
boots, wiper blades, etc. Again I ask, why can't the reproduction makers use
decent OEM grade rubber? Any insights on this matter?

Bob's rubber lessons of hard knocks:

    If the part looks more like plastic than rubber, forget it. (Ran into
this with the seat diaphragm.)
    If the part already has cracks in it out of the box, forget it.
    If small cracks appear in the surface when you flex it, forget it.
    If a coolant hose doesn't have embedded re-enforcement webbing, forget
it. (Will blow up like a balloon in a month.)
    Use a braided hose at your own risk. (The braid may be hiding the cracks
mentioned above.)
    I finally gave up on reproduction wiper blades. I now transplant the
rubber from domestic replacement blades. They seem a bit too stiff to
conform to the curve of the windshield, but at least they stay in one piece.
    There appears to be two varieties of steering rack boots. For God's
sake, don't use the cheap ones!

The good news: I haven't had any problems with rubber brake components yet.

Bob Donahue (Still Stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
Cars:       52 MGTD - #17639
               71 MGB - #GHN5UB254361