RE: Distributor advance springs

To: "John Di Fede" <difejo@optonline.net>,
Subject: RE: Distributor advance springs
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:49:45 -0700
John:

Thank you for a very informative post.

This is a common problem on the early distributors, and your information
should be very useful to may people.

Including myself.

I had to replace the distributor in my 1970 MGB, as it was also giving
too much advance, too early.  With the original twin carbs, it was not
really noticeable but when I installed a supercharger the problem was
much more obvious.

Thanks

Kelvin Dodd

Behalf
> Of John Di Fede
> Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2005 12:44 PM
> To: MG Mail List
> Subject: Distributor advance springs
>
> To the list;
>
> I wanted to pass along a spring a found that works well in my early
MGB
> distributor.  The Distributor is # 40897, used on 1963-65 high
compression
> engines.  On my dizzy the primary spring had worn out and at idle of
1,000
> rpm my advance would come on too early.  At 1000 rpm, I had a total of
25
> degrees (10 static + 15 centrifugal) advance.  My assessment was that
the
> primary spring had worn out, allowing too much early advance.
>
> After trial and error I found a spring to replace the primary spring.
It
> is included with a kit made by Mr. Gasket .  The kit is intended for
> tuning 1969-75 advance curves in a Delco GM distributor.  The Kit  is
sold
> as " #927G or #927 Adv. Curve Kit".  The kit includes advance weights
and
> three pairs of springs, each pair having a different characteristic.
Kit