Re: Car Stereo

Subject: Re: Car Stereo
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:23:02 -0800
On Nov 7, 2005, at 9:55 AM, Wm. Severin Thompson wrote:

> I'm thinkin' best solution is the tiniest decent fm radio or
> cassette radio
> and an Ipod...

I use a Pioneer CD player and the available AUX adapter for the
changer bus in my '75 B.  Coupled with a cheap(ish) power/audio/
holder unit that plugs into the cigar lighter, and it works out
pretty slick.  The Pioneer replaced an Aiwa, which replaced the
Blauplunkt installed by the PO (both of these units died due to water
damage).  All fit without issues.

If your primary consideration is an iPod, avoid the FM transmitter
route, especially if you live in urban areas.

   Stereo: $200
   AUX Adapter: $30
   RCA-headphone cable: $5
   iPod: $249
   iPod carrier/charger/whatever: $30
   Speakers (6x9, in boxes on rear shelf): $150

If my stereo was cassette rather than CD, it would have been cheaper
and I could have spent $20 on a SONY cassette adapter rather than $35
on the AUX adapter and cabling.

I had door speakers as well, but when I replaced the door panels, I
didn't want to cut holes in them.  At some point, I'll add some small
speakers behind the dash to regain the mid-high sound that I lost.

--
Aaron Whiteman -- http://www.panix.com/~awhitema/MG/
  '75 B (red for now), HIF4 carbs