Re: Piston Rings and Cam question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Piston Rings and Cam question
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:47:51 -0500
----- Original Message -----

> From: "Steve Clifton"
> Subject: Piston Rings and Cam question

> The instructions state :
>
> "Ensure that the groove has sufficient depth by passing the
> assembled ring to the back of the grove. The rails should not stand
> proud of the piston skirt."
>
> What does "proud of the piston skirt" mean?

If you press the ring into the piston's ring grove, the ring should
not 'stick out beyond' (aka 'stand proud') of the piston's outer
diameter.

> For the cam, are there any recommendations for tried and true cam
> upgrades to the 18V engine?

I installed a 'Fast Street Cam' in out '78 MGB - forget the exact
designation - I think it it's called a '270'. Works well - good power
from 3000rpm to 5000rpm (then it seems to hit a wall). I bought my
engine parts from www.brit-tek.com  Bob Ford answered all my email
questions knowledgeably and quickly.

Eric Russell
STOC #2860