Re: Piston Rings and Cam question

To: Steve Clifton <sclifton@cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Piston Rings and Cam question
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:43:15 -0600
Steve Clifton wrote:

SNIP

> The instructions state :
>
> "Ensure that the groove has sufficient depth by passing the assembled ring to
> the back of the grove. The rails should not stand proud of the piston skirt."
>
> What does "proud of the piston skirt" mean?

   Means the rings shouldn't stick out of the groove when pushed all the
way in.  Or, to put it another way, the rings shouldn't protrude from
the groove when bottomed out.

> For the cam, are there any recommendations for tried and true cam upgrades to
> the 18V engine?  The web lists dozens of different possibilities.  Not looking
> for a race car, just trying to help my tired old car without breaking the
> bank.  Any comments on regrinds, new, etc?

   I am using a regrind based on the stock '67 profile in my '69 B.
Very good for chugging along looking at the sites from narrow, twisty
roads.  Good high revs with dual carbs.

   CR