RE: Clutch Tear Down

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch Tear Down
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 13:28:52 -0500
I've had a number of people tell me over the years that they use the rocker
studs.  When I was taking the engine out of my GT before it was a V8, the
engine had gotten hung up on something and I was trying to free it when one
of the rocker studs it was hanging from snapped off.

Since I know someone will ask.  It was a typical situation where an engine
mount had caught on the steering column or something and the engine needed
to be rocked to the side.  I wasn't trying to wrestle the engine past an
immovable object.

I know rocker cover studs will work to remove an engine, and they are easily
accessible, but I'm not crazy about hanging the entire drivetrain from two
1/4 rocker cover bolts.  It was only one failure in the 20 or more times my
dad and I have done this, but one engine nearly falling on me is one too
many.

IMO,
James Nazarian
71 MGBGT-V8