RE: Poor brakes - and how to get to them - UPDATE

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Poor brakes - and how to get to them - UPDATE
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:12:03 -0000
Quick update on the situation with my brakes, in case anyone cares!

Fitted a replacement brake master cylinder yesterday.  It doesn't look quite
the same (round plastic reservoir rather than square tin reservoir, bit less
capacity for fluid), but the MGB Hive said it was still fine, new EU
regulations prevent the sale of metal reservoirs.

The M/C was definitely the problem.  After a couple of pumps on the brakes
the pedal feels just like it should do, with none of the free play that the
old one had.  A bit more bleeding should sort the pump-up.

The old cylinder exhibits strange behaviour.  The piston flops around and
moves in and out by an inch or two like it's not connected to anything at
all inside.  The spring inside is not pushing the piston out again like it
should.  I'll pull it to pieces this weekend just out of curiosity, see what
the problem is.

Richard & Sammy  (just bleed the brakes, bolt the seat belts down, replace
the wipers, and she's MOT ready.  I'm getting really impatient, but outside
it's just starting to sleet...)

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If
you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly
prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in
this communication shall be legally binding.