Two questions

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Two questions
From: "Philip Jones" <philip.s.jones@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:40:11 -0800
Hi all.  A couple of funny (funny weird, not funny ha-ha) symptoms showed up
on my '72 GT recently.

First item:  my charging indicator light no longer lights up when I turn the
key on - although it does appear to work normally when the engine is
running.  (Example 1:  if idle is low w/heavy electrical load, it glows;
Example 2:  just after the car starts, it glows brightly until I rev the
engine slightly (~1500 RPM or so)).  There are no other symptoms, other than
it not shining when the ignition is on but the engine is not running.  Any
quick pointers?

Second item:  Is it possible for anti-rattle mechanisms to fall out or
apart?  I have a fairly recently rebuilt overdrive gearbox (a couple
thousand miles ago), and it recently started rattling horribly - it sounds
like I've filled it with gravel!  If I hold the gearshift, the sound largely
goes away.  There have been no changes in the shifting or performance of the
gearbox; and the oil level is fine.  I'm hoping that the anti-rattle just
stopped working . . . . gearboxes are expensive to have fixed!

Thanks in advance for your help . . .

Phil