Re: MGB overdrive

To: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB overdrive
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:05:28 -0000
A Mk1 66 (3-synchro gearbox) originally had the D-type overdrive as an
option, whereas in 67 the MkIIs (4-synchro gearbox) got the later LH-type.
The later one will probably not fit the earlier gearbox.  The D-type came
with a vacuum switch and relay to delay disengagement of OD if there was
high manifold vacuum i.e. on the overrun at high-ish rpm to overcome an
inherent weakness in the design.  The transmission tunnel was wider on the
MkII cars to accept the 4-syncro gearbox, so you can't put a later gearbox
in an earlier car without some metal bashing.  The later seats may also have
been narrower/tapered to fit beside the later tunnel.  The OD prop-shaft was
also 2.7cm longer at 78.9cm as opposed to 76.2cm.

PaulH.