Re: MGB V6

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB V6
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:14:24 EST
In a message dated 10/02/2006 9:44:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

One should make sure they are committed to the project before  beginning,
engine swaps are a lot of work and it will cost more than you  think.

____________________________________

No kidding!

I see these starry eyed kids that want to do a  swap and figure they can get
the mount kit for say $600, and an old engine for  a couple of hundred and
wind up doing a swap for $1000 and just shake my  head.

These are the projects that never get  finished.

When was the last time you rebuilt an engine  properly? Machining and parts
can consume 2K even if you rebuild it yourself,  unless you get a good deal on
a rebuild from one of the rebuild  'factories'.

When was the last time you bought a new  clutch, had welding done, restored a
stock car much less a swap  candidate?

Yes, you CAN take an engine with decent  compression from a wreck and stick
it in and you might get lucky and save a  thousand or more. You MIGHT find a
used trans that actually turns out to  resemble the representations of the
optimistic seller and isn't a bag of  grindings. You MIGHT find a radiator that
MIGHT work and won't leak. Etc.,  etc. But the chances are against it.

If you want to do a swap on the cheap, the  best way is to find someone
else's project that they gave up on - you will  usually get the car and bits
for
about half what they have into  it.

I will NOT be adding up the total cost of my  Jamaican MG swap - my wife
might find it and who knows what might happen  then.....

Bill