Re: Time estimates to complete various MGB tasks

To: Steve Shoyer <Steve@shoyer.com>
Subject: Re: Time estimates to complete various MGB tasks
From: Marc <smarc@smarc.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 16:45:06 -0500
The rear springs are fairly easy to replace, but getting the old ones
out in the first place may be a real PITA. I've had to cut the front
spring mount bolts off on several cars with a Sawzall. Might want to
make sure you have replacement bolts... Even if the nuts will come off,
the bolt is usually seized in the spring eyelet. I use some anti-seize
when I install the new ones. I had considered using a round punch in an
air hammer to drive the bolt out, but decided it would be a bad idea...
Sawing is less brutal to the car!

Assuming the rear shackles and U-bolts aren't rusted solid, I've cut the
springs out in less then 30 minutes without doing damage to the car. A
small "Scroll" type metal cutting blade gets between the spring and it's
mount real well.

A small bottle jack or two can be real helpful when installing the new
springs... Bolting in the new springs can be done inside of 30 minutes
per side barring any other problems (yeah, right!). I think allowing a
weekend is prudent, then if it goes well, then you have time to start
another project! Rear brake shoes, for example. I would think you could
do both springs and rear brakes in a weekend.

Marc

Steve Shoyer wrote:
> Can anyone give me an idea of how long it usually takes to do the following
>tasks (1980 MGB, assume typical amounts of rust), by someone who has never
>done them before:
>
> - Replace rear springs
> - Replace rear brake shoes
> - Replace handbrake cable
> - Replace cam
> - Replace carpets
> - Replace seat foams and covers
>
> I've got a bunch of parts waiting to go on, and a number of tasks that I
>should do but have been holding off on buying parts until I clear out the ones
>I've got, so I'm hoping to set up a schedule to get things going.  Thanks!
>
> --Steve (1980 MGB)

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/x-pkcs7-signature which
had a name of smime.p7s]