Re: Fuel Prices

To: RampantNM@aol.com, max_heim@sbcglobal.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Prices
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:03:53 -0400
Years ago, I suggested to the Car Guys and in this list that gas taxes
should be linked to the type of car.  SUV's would pay more gas tax than
Hyundai's and Jags would be up there, too, while >20 mpg cars would be
taxed more reasonably.

I was so flamed by people here and people there that I stopped pushing the
idea of  appropriate taxation.   It is interesting to hear all the new
opinions but I guess the base price of gasoline has never been high enough
to impact disposable income like it does now.

And I still don't understand how the profit level can be so high even with
high prices if a shortage (reduced supply and therefore reduced income)
exists.  I may be paranoid to some degree but it does seem like they are
out to get us.

Bill Saidel
'76B
BMCSNJ