Re: Fuel Prices

To: RampantNM@aol.com, saidel@camden.rutgers.edu,
Subject: Re: Fuel Prices
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:11:32 -0700 (PDT)
RampantNM@aol.com wrote:  In a message dated 4/19/2006 4:02:41 P.M. Mountain
Daylight Time,
saidel@camden.rutgers.edu writes:

Years  ago, I suggested to the Car Guys and in this list that gas taxes
should be  linked to the type of car.  SUV's would pay more gas tax than
Hyundai's and Jags would be up there, too, while >20 mpg cars would be
taxed more reasonably.

I was so flamed by people here and people  there that I stopped pushing the
idea of  appropriate  taxation.

Duh...by fourth grade I think I could figure out that if I drove a  car that
used three times as many gallons of gas, and the tax rate was per  gallon, I
would be paying three times the amount of taxes.

I guess I don't understand the term "appropriate taxation".

  Robert, I think Bill's point is that higher gas prices  haven't really
changed people's driving and buying habits - and that  perhaps a sliding scale
of gas taxes MIGHT do that......

  Now don't get huffy! ;-) I'm not deriding your right, based on your  need, to
purchase a larger vehicle! I need one too, with 3 kids and a  large dog.  But I
see MANY people here in NJ with large SUV's  (Tahoes and Expeditions and such)
who have 2 kids or fewer, no boats or  trailers to tow, and never go off-road.
Do they really NEED an SUV?  Probably not. Should they be allowed to purchase
one? Absolutely! And  perhaps there ought to be a penalty that goes along with
that, besides  just crappy mileage. I think that's the idea here.

  For the record: I don't like this idea, as it would penalize me too, and I
need a large vehicle. And I'm a Republican.

Dan D
The Garden State
'76 MGB Tourer - Driver - "On the Road Again....!"
'65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, still is....
'04 Audi A4 1.8T q MT-6 - quattro, baby!
NAMGBR #5-2328