E-brake cable problem

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: E-brake cable problem
From: Jim Tinkham <jltinkham@tds.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 8:37:34 -0400
Bought a 66 B roadster last fall and took it for my first long run in it
Sunday.  Everything went great until after clocking about 150 trouble free
miles I hit a bump in the road.  It was hidden in the shadows but didn't feel
all that bad.  Coming down off the bump the rear wheels chirped and suddenly
the car didn't seem to have the same power.  Pulled over and noticed the
e-brake didn't pull up as far as it had been and the car acted as if the brakes
were applied.  Tried to go on but quickly decided against that as the brakes
were obviously over heating.  So had to suffer the indignity of getting it on a
flat bed and taking it home that way.

Last night I got under the car to check my theory that the e-brake cable had
hung up on something.  I was totally right.  It had hung up on the front of the
muffler.  Got it off and with the exception that the cable seems to have
stretched some all was well.

My questions are - is this common?  How can I prevent it from happening again,
I don't see anything incorrect in how it is currently installed?  It was bad
enough on a back road I shudder to think if it had happened on the interstate.

TIA

Jim

66 B Rdstr
69 C GT (project still)