Re: Radiator cap

To: williford@verizonmail.com
Subject: Re: Radiator cap
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:48:23 -0400
Hi Dan,
   Increasing cap pressure raises the temperature at which the coolant
will boil.
   Increasing the cap pressure also increases the strain on the radiator,
heater and other plumbing.  Unless one sees a need to use a cap with
pressure rating that is higher than MG specified, the original pressure
cap would seem best to me.
   That your present cap leaks could be that its rubber seal is not
complete, or its spring is weaker than its rating, or perhaps even that
the radiator is too full of coolant.   If the liquid level is about an
inch down from bottom of filler neck, which puts it about 3/4 inch above
the core in my '72 radiator, there is enough coolant in the system.
Excess tends to purge itself through the overflow until the level has
stabilised at an acceptable level.  Some owners have fitted coolant
recovery bottles to their overflow pipes.  It's standard practice in all
newer vehicles, and MG fitted them in 1976 (?) and later cars, but most
cars of your and my years are running fine without them.
Bob