The time has come the Walrus said to talk of many things.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: The time has come the Walrus said to talk of many things.
From: Mike Torrusio <miket@maine.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 14:50:02 -0400
Like selling my '71 MGB, and since you all have always responded so
well when I had other problems, I'd like to lay out what I have and
get an opinion on what the going price should be.

1971 MGB, British Racing Green - painted that color about 5 years ago.
Unknown real mileage as speedometer has be changed-out twice with
junkyard instruments.
Daily driver, and I put about 10,000 a year combination city and
highway driving.
Engine totally rebuilt 5 years ago, so it has about 50,000 miles on it.

Car runs great.  Starts right up, runs rock-steady on the highway.
Will cruise along at 80 mph with ease.

It has been maintained well - for a daily driver (it's not pampered)
and these items have been replaced:

Oil cooler with hoses (1-1/2 years)
New radiator (1 year)
Two new carburetors (3 months)
New distributer (4 months)
Heater exchange valve (1 year)
Heater dash-cable (2 months)
All stainless steel exhaust system ( 2 years) which gives out a
wonderful SNARL through all the gears.
All four springs - front and rear (a redundant statement) (1 year)
new rear shocks (1 year)
Battery (1-1/2 years)
Black seats (2 years) in perfect condition
Moto Wood/metal steering wheel (5 years)
Re-trued drive shaft (1 year)
Top perfect shape (2 years)  although it is a bear to get up and down
Tonneau cover (1 year)  Perfect shape
5 disk CD (disk change behind passenger's seat making for easy
access. (2 years)
Pull out radio (5 years)  tape section tends to eat tapes
New windshield still has the MG logo on the glass.  Got tired of
trying to see when the sun was low.  (1 year)
New dashboard plastic replacement top.  (1 year)
All pedal springs (6 months)
Pedal covers (6 months)
Wheels are the type with the raised "ribs"  like so  b.  All four
wheels were sandblasted and painted to original colors.  (1 year)

Problems.
Some nice kid "keyed" the hood, so there is a three inch U-shaped
scratch right at the nose.
The driver's side floorboard has a 3-inch rust through about 2 inches
wide.  The passenger's side is fine.  Figure that one out.
Battery box should have cross piece welded.  There's always the other
side, but I'd prefer to weld in a piece.

That's it.  At 80 on the highway, there's no shake or shimmy.  She is
35 years old, but does not act it.  She still gets 24 mpg mixed
driving.  And most highway driving is, well, highway driving -go
under 60 and they will run you down.

Like I said, it's my everyday car.  It goes when I go, and it hasn't
let me down.

Looking at all of the above, can I get an opinion as to whether
$2,700 is too high or too low as a selling price.

And, if any of you know or want another MGB, I'll be glad to sell it
to you.  Keep it in the family, so to speak.

Thanks in advance for any and all remarks.

Cordially,
Mike Torrusio
In the green hellfire '71 MGB that just whooshed by.