Re: Carb oil differences

To: "Bill Saidel" <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carb oil differences
From: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 19:44:14 -0500
Hello Bill,

The marvel and the mystery of MMO is a solvent. I'm not sure what the
solvent is, might be naphtha, toluene, lacquer thinner? I should look at an
MSDS or a product data sheet on it. Whatever the ingredient is, according to
the message on the container, it is a California-registered carcinogen.

Anyhoo, that is the reason it is disappearing from your dashpots, the
solvent flashes off. That's also the reason why it is sold as a fuel and oil
additive. The solvent action puts sludge and residue into suspension where
it can be picked up by the oil filter.

I use the stuff in air tools and I tried running it in the dashpots, but
found that, like you, it tends to flash off and or leak away too quickly. I
used to run straight 20W motor oil in the carbs, but have been unable to
find that for some years. Nowadays, I just run 10W-30, and haven't
experienced any problems.

Perhaps, another lister has more detailed info on MMO...

Cheers,

David