25D4 vs. 45D4

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 25D4 vs. 45D4
From: Todd Mullins <muses@cableone.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:38:15 -0500
Hi all,

I've been slowly gathering parts for my '74 MGB reassembly.  My
emphasis is on optimizing functionality and performance, rather than
a historically correct restoration.

Years ago, I remember reading that the Lucas 45D4 distributor is
technically superior to the 25D4, as originally fitted to my car.  I
found a brand-new Euro-spec 45D4 on eBay, and promptly snatched it
up.  After it arrived, I naturally felt the need to justify the
purchase by searching the web for that information that had prompted
my purchase in the first place, but so far I've come up empty.

So I put it to you:  Is the points-equipped 45D4 superior to the
points-equipped 25D4?  I know that electronic ignition levels the
playing field here (and I'll probably buy a Pertronix for the 45D4),
but I'm interested in your opinions of the intrinsic strengths and
weaknesses of the two distributors in their original form.

As always, thanks for all of your informed opinions!

-todd
'74 MGB Tourer in a jillion pieces
'80 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD daily driver
'84 Bertone X1/9 wife's daily driver
'87 VW Cabriolet on loan to my sister since Katrina