Engine Temp - faulty Water Pump?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Temp - faulty Water Pump?
From: "Robin Camblin" <rcamblin2@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 18:48:18 -0500
I have a 67 MGBGT with an early 5 main stock engine, I've tried about
everything I can think of to correct a extremely hot temp.  It seems that
the gauge will rise to 180 plus in less than 10 minutes and climbs up to 200
to 205 while on the freeway.  After about 20 miles I exit and then do
surface streets, avg about 45 mph and the temp goes down to around 185.  All
hoses have been replaced; thermostat is a 165, radiator flushed, etc.  I was
wondering if I should replace the water pump next it is not leaking or seems
in any way out of sorts, could it not be pumping at high speed?  Any
thoughts or comments is well appreciated.

Rob Camblin

1960 MGA

1958 MGA Coupe

1951 MGTD