whistling brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: whistling brakes
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:14:47 -0400
Hi all,

Now that the high heat is gone from the East Coast, I took my '76B
out for a run yesterday.  I noticed several "unpleasant" events
centered around the vehicle's brakes.  Could use some info.

1) Brakes required a heavy foot.
2) Heavy whistling from the area of the MC (and more likely, the
Servo Assembly).  Had this problem last year but it went away with
all the cruising I did last year.
Whistling is much louder.

3) Also an apparent vacuum leak in the engine...symptom was a
modestly wild change in rpms when I braked.

Now, I don't know if 3 is related to 1 &2. Is it?  But 1 & 2 seem to
indicate failure of the brake booster.
So I go to the Moss catalog and the brake booster (item 182-190) is NA.

Is a reasonable guess that a membrane in the brake booster was holed
so the vacuum booster no longer has a vacuum to boost with?

So where do I obtain either a replacement booster or a parts to
repair or .... (all suggestions wanted)?

TIA,

Bill Saidel
'76B
BMCSNJ
Dr. William Saidel
Assoc. Prof.                     Vocal phone   (856) 225-6336
Department of Biology        FAX  (856) 225-6312
Science Building               email:  saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
315 Penn St.
Camden, NJ 08102 -1411
http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

  "All memory is a cat's cradle of strings and intricate connections.
  'White Apples' by Jonathan Carroll