Re: Damaged MGA Engine?

To: bobmgtd@insightbb.com
Subject: Re: Damaged MGA Engine?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 06:55:06 -0400
Bob,
   Interesting idea.   Cadillac, among others at one time, used a
floating sort of indicator that showed oil level in the sump.  There
wasn't a dipstick as we know it, but a rod, approx 3/16 inch, protruding
from a hole in the block casting.  One read the markings on the exposed
part of the rod to learn the oil level in the sump.
   Back to the oil level idea---assuming that we have about 4 quarts in
the sump when all oil has drained back, how much oil is out of the sump
and circulating in the engine when engine is running?
Bob