Re: wire wheel prep

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wire wheel prep
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 14:42:25 -0700
on 8/19/06 1:03 PM, Greg Kindall at gregkindall@comcast.net wrote:

> I've just reconditioned my wire wheels (knockoffs, 4.5x14, newly
> painted silver) and am about to have new tires put on. A couple of
> questions that I think have been mentioned on the list before, but I'd
> be glad to hear any opinions --
>
> In lieu of proper rim bands, what about using sections of inner tube?

I believe this is common.

> (and how wide should these be?).

Just to cover the spoke heads.

> I've also heard of duct tape being
> used. Are there problems with these ad hoc adaptations that I should be
> aware of? (Yes, I like to be cheap if I can.)

I would worry about duct tape longevity. Used on exterior applications it
delaminates and makes a peeling, sticky mess. Could make replacing the inner
tube a messy chore.

> Then there's the problem of grease migrating up the outer spokes. Will
> an application of silicone caulk prevent that?

Clear silicone covering the spoke heads works fine.

> I've also heard of
> silver anti-seize being used instead of grease, so that what does leak
> out doesn't mar the appearance. Any issues here?

It makes sense, I suppose. I don't see why the type of grease should matter.
"Anti-seizing" is precisely what is called for in this case.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149